Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Photographers' visions run in tandem in 'Sentience'

Photo from the "TreeSong" series by Mikhail Yusufov, on view in "Sentience" at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff.(Photo: Courtesy photo)

Editor's note: Portrait of the Artist is a regular feature in Enjoy! that spotlights artists with exhibits in the Hudson Valley. If you are an artist in a current or upcoming exhibit and would like to be included in this feature, email bfarrell@poughkeepsiejournal.com. This week's Portrait of the Artist features Arlene Becker and Mikhail Yusufov, whose work is on display at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff through June 1.

Tell us about your photographs in "Sentience" and what inspired you to select them for the joint exhibit.

A.B. There are two bodies of work. The photographs are images taken at the recent Women's March on Washington, observing women and men being proactive to make their voices and issues heard. The photo-collages are observing people doing everyday, commonplace activities while simultaneously experiencing the vastness of their reverie.

PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST: Muse of 40 years inspires solo show in Kingston

M.Y. I selected my 'TreeSong' pictures because the documentary style utilized in the photographs would play well off Arlene's protest pictures, providing an excellent complement while simultaneously giving us a little contradiction. The 'NightSong' photos are a great juxtaposition to Arlene's collages in terms of color and concept of a personal mental space.

"Hear Our Voice" by Arlene Becker, on view in "Sentience" at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff. (Photo: Courtesy photo)

Do you each stick to a certain theme in your work or like to explore new techniques and subjects?

A.B. Both. There is always the underlying attempt to get into people's heads while they are activated in some way.

M.Y. I would agree with Arlene. Usually, one project leads into another, either as a continuation of an idea or a complete opposite reaction to the idea.

Photo from the "Nightsong" series by Mikhail Yusufov, on view in "Sentience" at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff. (Photo: Courtesy photo)

What do you hope viewers come away with after seeing your work?

A.B. Further insight into the workings of our minds and the greater and lesser extent that this is revealed in one's actions in our society.

M.Y. With 'TreeSong,' I am hoping that my viewers gain a greater appreciation for the subtleties of the natural world, and with my 'Nightsong' pictures, I am hoping that I can disorient my viewers a little.

Do you see yourself in your photographs? How?

A.B. Yes. In that I am just another person with my internal and external life, sometimes very public and sometimes quite private.

M.Y. I like to think that I am the thing I am photographing.

"Walking to See II" by Arlene Becker, on view in "Sentience" at the Morton Library in Rhinecliff. (Photo: Courtesy photo)

How have you handled the business side of being an artist?

A.B. The most important thing is the art itself. People seeing and experiencing my work is like "hearing the tree in the forest — was there a sound if nobody heard it?"

M.Y. So far business has been one-side. Mostly, I am trying to figure out how to keep expenses low without sacrificing quality of my work.

What are you each working on now?

A.B. Continuing what is in the exhibit, and also, people being both social and private in diners.

M.Y. Currently, I am drafting ideas for a project this summer when I plan to take a couple of months off to photograph.

What type of art decorates your homes?

A.B. Mostly, the results of of trades with friends as well as my own work.

M.Y. A lot of art that I made, some pieces I traded with friends who make art, and tons upon tons of photography books! Arlene is definitely my inspiration on how a collection should complement a home.

How does your background contribute to your process as an artist?

A.B. I used to be a sculptor, and this contributes to use of materials in the collages. But mostly, having lived a lot of life has whet my appetite to always explore more of it.

M.Y. I studied at Bard College where I received my bachelor's in photography. The program really comes out of the straightforward documentary style of the 1970s, and I love this way of photographing because it is so simple, unpretentious and clear. These ideas from the past definitely have a strong influence to how I think and photograph.

What excites you about photography — what keeps you interested?

A.B. As long as there is life, there is subject matter to be explored.

M.Y. I really love to discover new places and photography is the tool that gets me out of my house, out of my comfort zone and teaches me about my environment.

Arlene Becker, who earned a master's degree in Fine Art in 1978 from the Art Institute of Chicago, lives and works in the Hudson Valley. She has exhibited her work throughout the U.S. Mikhail Yusufov lives and works in Brooklyn and earned a bachelor's degree in photography from Bard College.

Arlene Becker (Photo: Courtesy photo)

Mikhail Yusufov (Photo: Courtesy photo)

Read or Share this story: http://pojonews.co/2rqU4lG


Source: Photographers' visions run in tandem in 'Sentience'

No comments:

Post a Comment